Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Google Bomb - Rediff Interview with me!!!

Rediff Interview!!! .. hmm.. this is how everything started.

I wrote a blog entry on Apr 11th about H1B Official Web-site, one of the comments for this is following,
"hi. i work for rediff.com and we're interested in talking to you about this issue. i cannot find an email for you on your blog. can you please mail me ASAP on ch*****th@rediff.co.in. thanks."

Hmm... This was the first i was attracted by Media, hence i had sent my mail ID to the ID they have mentioned. Did i get the reply.. Yup i have got the reply with the Subject - Questions from Rediff check the mail too,
"Hi Peter,

Thank you for replying.

I'm sending you some questions for an interview I want to do for
rediff.com on the H1-B issue you have blogged about.

It would be lovely if you could reply to these by Monday, April 16. If I
have further queries after I receive your answers, I'll be in touch.

Best,
Chinmayee

QUESTIONS
When did you become aware of this issue?

Could you explain what Google bombing is and how it is done?

Who are the people running sendemback.com? Is this is a new site or can we
link it to the outsourcing backlash?

What are the consequences of this sort of Google bombing?

What is your strategy to counter this? How does it work?

What has the response been so far? Can you call it a success?

Are you planning on approaching any authorities on this issue?

Are there any other related issues, the awareness of which, you think
needs to be increased?"
As i'm responsible to answer these questions i had given my answers with full details. She also said she will be in touch. I have sent a mail with the answers how this information will be used. She never answered me for this question.

I can't believe how could anyone from Media(Rediff.com) never bothered to answer how the my information will be used? and also i can never see my interview been published though.

Look at my reply to the Questions from Rediff,


Hi Chinmayee,

I have attached my answers with this mail. Let me know if you have further
queries on any of these answers. I would also like to know how you are
going to use this interview.

Thanks,
- Peter Jayaraj

Her Reply for the mail was,
Thanks, Peter. I'll stay in touch.
Best
Chinmayee

She never contacted me as well as she never published the interview though. I would like to introduce her to all of you. Her name is Chinmayee. Here is her blogger Profile. I did not expect such an irresponsible interview from media.

So I'm planning to publish the answers here in few days.

Lesson: Don't spend time for the interview which is never going to be published. Ask thousand times how the information will be used before you give it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi peter.

let me make a disclaimer. i am a reporter with a website, i do not own it nor am i solely responsible for choosing its content. when i am asked to do an interview by my editors, i do that, give it in and there my job ends. whether they use it or they don't is their discretion, which i do not argue with.

as for saying this - "I have sent a mail with the answers how this information will be used. She never answered me for this question."

in my first email, i said - "I'm sending you some questions for an interview I want to do for
rediff.com on the H1-B issue you have blogged about."

the answers/information was used for an interview, which, for reasons best known to my editors, was not published.

before you lash out against a reporter, making such allegations, please understand the editorial process. or, at least, ask.

Peter Jayaraj said...

Hi Chinmayee,

Thanks.. for your reply. This post is written behalf of many blog authors.
Personally i know many famous bloggers who had experienced the same kind of issues one time or another. That was the main reason i was forced myself to put up this entry.
You must also know every minute is very important to us. I had spent 3 hours for the answers. That was the reason why this entry is made. Anyway, I understand this is not your mistake.
But I prefer before interview anyone you can inform him/her how his/her information will be used... This entry is not against a reporter... This is just a Lesson for any blogger... I'm loving it..Learning it...

- Peter Jayaraj